[How-To] UO Linux Installation (w/ UO Steam!); Near Automated Shell Script included!

Discussion in 'Login / Client Support' started by Schism, Nov 22, 2015.

?

Was(is) this helpful? If not, how can we improve it (in comments.)

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Schism

Schism Journeyman

Good evening,
    In the event there are users that do not use primarily use Windows and have had difficulties doing an installation on Linux- I am preparing a guide to do a full installation from scratch (including UOSTEAM!) Pictures are in Spoiler Tags to lessen the sore-eye effect.

UPDATES:
    [ 1 ] Shell script created to near-automate the difficult manual work! Click the spoiler!
    Table of Contents:
    + Foreward
    + Prerequisites
    + Installation Instructions

Foreward:
    This installation was performed on the distribution Arch Linux and should be able to be replicated to any platform supporting WINE. Check your local repositories for the wine package (yum, apt-get, pacman, yaourt, etc.)
    Disclaimer: By no means, does this installation instruction guarantee that it will work for you. There may or may not be added steps included. This is just a personal account of how I got it working well and with minimal issues!

Prerequisites:
    + [ Package ] wine
    + [ File ] UOSteam: [ http://uos-update.github.io/UOS_Latest.exe ]
    + [ File ] UO Classic Client: [ http://uo.com/client-download/ ]
    + [ Package ] *rar - (Needed to extract UOS_Latest.rar if you have the .rar version and not the .exe)
    + Set an alias for wine to use the WIN32 prefix. This will make future commands shorter.
    It assigns the wine environment to the word "wine".
    *TIP: Helpful to add it into your .bashrc file:
    Code:
    alias wine='WINEPREFIX=${HOME}/.wine32 WINEARCH=win32 wine'
    [​IMG]
    Installation Instructions:
    A
    fter getting wine installed and downloading UOSteam/UO Classic Client, open up a terminal.
    1. If you have the file UOS_Latest.rar and not UOS_Latest.exe, you will need to extract the executable:
      • [​IMG]
    2. Install the UO Classic Client (This will install it into the .wine32 directory in your home):
      • Code:
        wine UOClassicSetup*.exe
      • [​IMG]
      1. Navigate the installation and complete it like any normal application.
      2. Patch the client. You will need to relaunch it in the directory it was installed into
        *(if it errors out towards the end, that was normal for me, also sometimes it just fails on the first few tries. Also delayed execution
      • Code:
        cd "${HOME}/.wine32/drive_c/Program Files/Electronic Arts/Ultima Online Classic"
        wine UO.exe
      • [​IMG]
    3. Install UO Steam:
      • Code:
        wine UOS_Latest.exe
      • [​IMG]
    4. Fix window management in winecfg. You will have to modify your wine configuration to disable your Window Manager or Desktop Environment from controlling the Ultima Online Classic window. If this is not disabled, it will result in the game crashing upon attempting to log into a character (not the account.)
      • Code:
        WINEPREFIX=${HOME}/.wine32 WINEARCH=win32 winecfg
      • [​IMG]
      • *WINDOW SHOULD APPEAR*
      1. Navigate to the "Graphics" tab. Deselect:
        • "Allow the window manager to decorate the windows.
        • "Allow the window manager to control the windows.
      2. Press "Ok"
    5. Run the game (UO Steam)!
      • Code:
        cd "${HOME}/.wine32/drive_c/Program Files/UOS"
        wine UOS.exe
    6. Complete! Congratulations and enjoy. :]
    [​IMG]
    If there are any further questions or would like to add something, feel free to reply here or message me. I am open to new ideas. I built this How-To on the KISS method (and caffeine) and tried to assume as little as possible of user knowledge. Feel free to comment with your concerns.

Extras:
    Primary Contributor: Hifi (link to come.)
    [​IMG]

- Schism

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
    Katak and age like this.
  2. Katak

Katak Alpha Tester

Cool. thank you for the excellent guide.

3. Schism

Schism Journeyman

No problem. I'm currently writing a script to do some of the manual work for you. I'll update it when I complete it.

4. tr1age

tr1age Neophyte

Next work on a mac installer since linux is so similar? :p
    Great guide, stickied

5. Schism

Schism Journeyman

UPDATE!
    I just finished writing the script that will help automate the experience.

+ Features:
    • Automatically downloads the UO Steam client.
    • Automatically downloads the UO Classic Client
    • Launches the installation for UO Classic Client
    • Patches the UO Classic Client
    • Launches the UO Steam installation
    • Prompts for creating a special alias to a command to make for easier launching
    • Prompts for a short to executing and launching BOTH UO Steam and UO Client.
    + Notes
    You will still have to do some manual work such as choosing the directory to install (choose all defaults please.) Proceed through the installations as normal. The script will automatically launch the applications you need and set the appropriate environment for you. This script is 100% open sourced (it's a shell script.) I will be further working on the script over the coming days to make it more "pretty" and add a ton of comments. The script was somewhat of a rush job but done with redundancy in mind (verifying that things were installed as they should be.)
    + Comments? Questions? Complaints?
    Feel free to let me know! What a fun 14 hours of working with a Ultima Online install on Linux :D

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016