T2A PvP Balance Thread - Help Perfect Combat!

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Punkte, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Punkte

Punkte Administrator Community Manager Developer

Please reply to the post will all the issues you've seen so far in combat and we'll create a discussion and figure out some solutions.
    Our goal is always to be ahead of the game in terms of PvP mechanics, so I'd love to listen to all suggestions, complaints, criticisms so we can figure out a great balance.

Thanks everyone!

2. Kushion

Kushion Newbie

Debuff spells shouldn't always disrupt. They should only disrupt if you arent currently debuffed already.
    Max dmg on certain spells(ebolt) need to be tuned down so there isnt so many 45dmg ebolts going on, especially at GM resist. Distance delay/damage delay on ebolt needs to be faster IMO.

High end damage on weapons seem strong but i need to mess with it more.

Bacacay likes this.
  3. Bacacay

Bacacay Newbie

I think the biggest issue right now is that the balancing is very experimental. The mana "fix" in the last patch has essentially made passive mana regen a crawl if you choose to wear leather, and because you can run an anat tank easily here, that becomes a big problem when you are getting hit for 45 in exchange for mana. The combat flowed very nicely before with a significantly less downtime, but active medding still happened. The issue is it seems like fights like 3 times as long without the old passive med.

Secondly, if we were to change 6th circle damage, I think we would have to change around interrupts. As it stands, the short disrupt delay makes it very difficult to interrupt greater heal properly, unless you preemptively spam magic arrow and keep hitting with the delay. I don't think the high damage is much of a problem in itself, but rather that it seems to only way to win is save enough mana to nuke with 3 6th circle and hope the guy doesn't greater heal in time or you can weapon hit properly inbetween the spells. As it stands, if you interrupt gheal, someone holding down the key will instantly recast at .10 delay, which means lightning after a harm will most likely not work unless you have time to fast cast since your recast delay will be longer, and generally speaking spamming harm is ineffective because of the low damage in comparison to most magery spells, which generally means it's child's play to simply mini heal out of getting interrupted by harm. The only way to get around this seems to be to fast cast a lightning after another to get more damage. While I do think that the high spell damage makes group fighting a lot more hectic in terms of how much damage is coming down, I still think it's at a good level simply because it counters the old mini heal forever tactics that tend to work unless you can nuke someone down at low hits, IE if they don't gheal they will die to the ebolt, but that also gives the attacker the chance to try to interrupt by weapon hit, etc. One more point to consider is that it doesn't seem viable to disrupt an offensive spell and attempt to gheal after unless you wrestle hit during the cast, simply because the time it takes for you to drop your weapon and attempt a gheal will probably be longer than the time the other guy can bring up another interrupt.

While I agree that it seems odd that 6th circle hits for the higher ranges a lot of the time, it does make the pvp feel more "dangerous", especially with how much running happens in field here thanks to mounts. I probably wouldn't be opposed to it being lowered if the interrupt game was tweaked to be more important, however. Here are some ideas I have that would change things up a bit:

1. Increase the disrupt delay so it's more viable to chain interrupt, and also more viable to interrupt offensive spells to heal yourself. This means that if someone spams lightning on you, if you interrupt it you should be able to get your gheal up faster than he can recast unless he manages a counter weapon hit or a quick harm.
    2. Revert meditation to how it was before or close with GM meditation, and remove the penalty for leather. I don't think it's healthy for dueling or field pvp for people to drop leather armor when so much extra weapon damage is being thrown around thanks to defensive wrestle tank mages.

I think those two points would be the most important, but I'll just throw out some other ideas for experimentation's sake:

3. Damage delay on lightning, from anywhere to .25 to .50
    4. Distance-based harm damage, IMO harm hitting for 3 every time seems a bit too weak.
    5. Variable interrupt rates for harm and magic arrow, in case the disrupt delay change causes harm spamming to become more powerful. I would suggest something similar to what another server did, the first time the spell hits it's 100%, if you cast it again afterwards it's 50% and stays that way until 5 seconds elapse from the last cast OR you cast third circle or higher before the next magic arrow/harm. All of this should probably count on cast rather than damage, so you don't have weird situations where casting explosion doesn't reset harm, etc, or magic arrow not triggering the 50% properly if it's spammed a bunch.
    6. Debuff's (weaken,feeble,clumsy) only disrupt when they affect stats. Good point on this one, Kushion. Seems unnecessary given how much damage spells do in general.

I'm sure there are probably better ideas than mine out there, and I encourage everyone to jump in and give their 2 cents. I don't think it should be too difficult to tweak on here to a more balanced and fun state to what it is right now, just gotta get people to starting discussing it.

4. Punkte

Punkte Administrator Community Manager Developer

Alright, thanks for the replies everyone!

Currently we are revisiting the following and will be in during the next patch release:

1. Mana Regeneration has been revisited and the Mana Penalty for Leather has been removed. Because there was initially an issue with Active Meditation, we've redone the algorithm slightly. Overall the feel of passive med will be similar to the old method, but overall Active Med will feel somewhat faster.

Test Values:
    At GM Meditation - Players will regenerate 1 mana every .8 seconds (down from 1.2-3 with leather on).
    While Actively Meditating - Players will regenerate 1 mana every .4 seconds (down from .65-7 with leather on).

2. Harm seemingly had a much larger range of damage. We've added Harm to be able to be tweaked in game, and we've decreased the overall damage range to one that will make the damage more noticeable. In addition, default RunUO had 2 settings for the range penalty, we've added another. Over 4 tiles will be 25% damage, over 2 tiles will be 50% damage, over 1 tile will be 75% damage. 1 tile away will be 100%. In addition, resisting harm seemingly does 75% resist, which ends up making harm look like it does no damage whatsoever. We've modified that to 50% damage like most other spells.

3. We've rebuilt much of how we handle spell disrupt in game. For one, the disrupt delay has been increased from a static .1 seconds to a static .25 seconds. Additionally, if a player has a stat debuff on them and their opponent casts that stat debuff again, they will no longer be interrupted. This non interruption state will last as long as the debuff lasts. Casting any other spells will still disrupt the target. If a player continually casts weaken or any other stat debuff, the spell and the timer itself gets re-applied, so its best to wait out the stat debuffs timer.

4. Lightning (experimentally) will be able to adjust the delay timer in game. We're going to set the delay from initial cast to hit by .25 seconds. We'll be able to tweak this in game among other spells and weapons generally as well.

5. Lightning max damage, explosion max damage, energy bolt max damage, and flamestrike max damage has been lowered by around 2-3 dmg per. The RNG seems to run slightly higher because UO's rng is crap. So lowering the cap will help it get into a better range. These changes have been in the game over the last 2 days already.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to ask the community to continue testing weapon damage. Where the outliers are on certain weapons. Which ranges are off, obviously some weapons are meant to have a low floor but high ceiling, like Halberd, but we can improve on the bonus of it so the floor is not 1 with armor on, etc.