Giving Crafters some love

Discussion in 'AOS Discussion' started by Morg77, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Morg77

Morg77 Newbie

I was just thinking, what about making a gear set for crafting? There are sets for fighing like the sewers set, how about one for crafting or gathering?
    It could be lighter weight as crafters need as much room in their packs as possible.
    Maybe give some kind of mining/lumber-jacking bonus, similar to how the mining gloves work. However, the minging gloves should remain superior to the set gloves.
    Full set adds up to 100 LRC, I know I have just enough Magery to craft Abbitors and recall to mining spots.
    Could add a bonus for skills with no powerscrolls, like Tinkering and/or Carpentry, have it work similar to how the mining gloves work (no powerscrolls needed). This would really only serve to increase odds of making exceptional items.
    And maybe a Strength bonus

Also the set could be bigger than the fighting sets by making not only the primary items but add in aprons, sashes, cloaks and/or boots. This would make each piece less potent, but the full set would add up to be powerful, but not game breaking.
    However, gloves are a special case as there are the BOD mining gloves, so those should be superior to the set gloves. For the full set bonus, the BOD gloves should count towards the set same as the set gloves themselves, or gloves shouldn't be added in as part of the full set.

Also, would it be possible to have Luck be a factor in crafting? Maybe increase chances to make exceptional items, of for greater item properties? This would be very handy when crafting things like Dragon armor, which at GM smithy has only 50% chance of being exceptional.
    If so, add Luck to the crafting set mentioned above.

Obviously, the set shouldn't be gained by fighting as I assume that most mule characters, like mine, don't have any fighting skills, so maybe make it obtainable through crafting/gathering quests that can only be started at 100 mining AND 100 Lumberjacking, plus add a requirement that the char has to have those skills and levels to equip the items.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    Vorspire likes this.
  2. Arthrutus

Arthrutus Newbie

That's a great idea. However, I would suggest a few key points to make it more balanced. Upon completion of a quest, bod reward, or whatever, the player will be rewarded a piece of armor (no clothing). This piece of armor will be given a one 5+ skill bonus from any of the available crafting and resource gathering skills, including armslore. However, the bonus will not allow the player to exceed 120 skill points (GM crafting skills can be boosted to 120 though). The piece of armor will also have a random stat bonus as well as RNG resists. Because there are six armor slots, players can accumulate a maximum of 30+ skill bonuses with a full set.

Luck does not affect crafting, although some people swear by it. The code could be changed to make luck an influential factor.

LRC should be not added into the suit because the goal of a crafter suit would be to hone the player's focus on crafting. If LRC was added, then there would be no reason to wear anything else. Players should choose between honing their focus on crafting or delving into the arts of mysticism.

Vorspire likes this.
  3. Vorspire

Vorspire Administrator Developer

I've discussed this with Punkte in the past and the points you made about LRC are exactly what we went over. We'd have to implement this in such a way that it does not become an imbalanced "end game" template. Luck should have a much broader scope than just finding loot, agreed. The ideas discussed here will be strongly considered. We also hope to expand the BoD system to include other crafting skills, too.

4. Morg77

Morg77 Newbie

That is kind of what I had envisioned. However, the set doesn't have to be limited to just 6 pieces, so the bonus' don't have to be +5's, but maybe allow the pieces to have up to 2 skill bonuses, equaling 5, i.e. +5 Carp, or +3 carp and +2 Lumberjacking. This would lead to people collecting some really interesting sets. I agree that the skills shouldn't exceed 120, doing that would lead to others asking for other skills to go above that to match crafting and that would be a slippery and annoying slope for Punkte and Vorspire.

I know luck doesn't have any bearing on crafting, but it could be nice. Imagine it affecting how much ore you get from a vein. Maybe at a certain level it could potentially 150% the amount of ore from a single vein. Of course, there would be diminishing returns as you get to the top end ores, like Verite and valorite, maybe up to an addition 5% of those, so they don't become common. i.e. Iron vein up to 150%, Dull copper and shadow, up to 125% more and lowering as it goes up the ores.

I mentioned the LRC for 2 reasons, but mostly just convenience. no need to carry regs so no weight space lost from them, plus, if you die mining in "exotic" places, you wont be stuck if you lose your regs. The other is because Magery is needed to make some items in carpentry, like the abbitor, and it would probably be nice for those that have inscription as well. This isn't a huge deal, so this is a very much just a convenience.

I must say, one of the things I really like about this shard is that, whether something happens with ideas like this or not, at least the devs listen and give feedback. After getting no replies for so long, I thought this idea would be ignored. Thanks, Vorspire and Punkte for the consideration.

Vorspire likes this.